Monday, March 12, 2012

Feminist Therapy

This week in my Theories & Techniques class we discussed feminist theory.

Every week before this, I've felt relatively lost.  I've had to struggle to grasp the basic concepts of the chapters (I'm sure it will get easier as I progress in the program, but this is all new to me!).  I usually leave class feeling frustrated because I felt like half the class was focusing on the wrong things (for example, writing style of an imaginary case versus applying the theory to said case) and the other half have already worked in agency settings and were miles ahead of me.

This week, however, I felt like a queen!  That's a bit of an exaggeration, but really, I felt like, "Yes, I totally get this!"  I really felt like I contributed to the conversation, and I even had a list of books off the top of my head I would utilize for "bibliotherapy" for our imaginary client.

But wait!  It's not over yet.  The icing on the cake is that after class, the teacher came over and said thanks for the responses I had posted to some of my peers online.  He said I did a good job and that it saved him from having to respond to some off-color remarks.

It just felt SO GOOD to finally understand something really well and for that to not go unnoticed.

I could dance!


But for everyone's sake I won't.  I'll just keep this big ole smile on my face!

No comments:

Post a Comment