Sunday, February 19, 2012

Stream of Reminiscence

I visisted an old lady that is a friend of mine yesterday.  When we aren't reading Gone with the Wind, we like to listen to old-timey music.  Here is one of my favorites that we listen to:



As I was posting this video, the old-timey record made me think of Ghost World:


Every time I hear that song in the Heineken commercial, I think, "Hey Heineken guy, Ghost World beat you to that about 10 years ago."  But it's still nice and catchy.  I'd like to rent that movie and watch it with my hubby; he's never seen it.  My friend A. and I watched it for the first time in the 8th grade. 
I can almost guarantee that I am wearing sandals with socks in the picture.  For some reason there was a year that I wore sandals and socks the whole winter.  There were a few years where I wore nothing but black, gray, and dark blue.  Oh adolescence!  The branch was at a park a couple of blocks from  my house, and we walked it to my front yard where we "planted" it.  We were quite the team, and we'll always, always be friends.  We've been through too much to ever drift apart.

Musically, I think Everclear, Tori Amos, and Our Lady Peace totally dominated my adolescence, and they all remind me of good times with A.  She introduced me to Tori Amos.  When she moved away, I got to visit her a couple of times, and on my first plane ride home she gave me Under the Pink.  I listened to it on my discman the whole plane ride back.  I think this will always be my favorite track from that album:


If you enjoy Tori Amos, I would highly recommend reading this.  I genuinely appreciate the message of both acknowledging victimization and experiencing hope.  And I do think that "some things only she knows," whether she is the collective power of women, our Blessed Mother, Mary Magdalene, the feminine divine that is so often oppressed, etc.  This song makes me feel really good and really hopeful.

What lovely reminiscing :)

2 comments: