Thursday, February 23, 2012

Let's Get Musical, Musical!

I wanna get musical!

So Stephen and I bought a piano!  An older couple was selling it on craigslist for pretty cheap (as far as pianos go).  I've been pondering taking up a musical instrument for some time now, and Stephen (as always) was super supportive.  I'd like to work my brain in new and exciting ways!  For a little while I was thinking banjo or fiddle (small, portable, love me some folk), but calluses sound unpleasant, and I don't know about learning all the different ways to put my fingers.  I can see all the keys on a piano at the same time.  Also, I took piano lessons for a short while when I was a kid.  I refused to practice, and my mom would say things like, "Do you know how much money I'm spending on lessons!"  But at least the piano is not completely foreign territory.

I was hoping to do a smart thing and have it inspected before buying it.  I'd even found a legit guy who does inspections for $25.  But, the couple selling the piano had other folks in the wings waiting on it, and they weren't keen on waiting for us to schedule an inspection.  I don't blame them at all.  So, I played all the keys and they made lovely enough sounds to me.  (Which for my discerning ear is anything other than "clunk" or silence).  All the keys came back up to the same height.  We peeked at the strings.  They were all there!  It was a little dusty in there and some of the soft hitter things had little indents in them, but I don't know if that is bad or not.  Either way, for the price of the piano I figured I could replace some little soft whatever-they're-called if need be.  We wrote a check, shook hands, and we'll be picking it up tomorrow!  Hopefully we made a good decision.  Even if we didn't, it's been a blast being spontaneous.

A super huge, giant thanks to K.Q. for giving me some pointers on how to check out a piano!

Now I just have to find somewhere to take lessons ... and the Google search begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment