Friday, April 6, 2012

Spoiler Alert! The Hunger Games

Spoilers galore!  I just finished the first book today and went and saw the movie.  So I will talk about them both!
.
.
.
.
.
Obviously, the book was better.*  And yeah, yeah, I know that movies based on books can be appreciated "for what they are" and they can't replicate exactly everything.  But damn!  They can at least get some basic details right.  For example, Prim's cat was orange.  How hard is it to find an orange cat?  If they can dye a dog pink for a scene in the Capitol, they can find any ole orange cat and film it hissing.  They can find a red love seat for Peeta and Katniss to sit on in the final interview, and they could have had her slip off her shoes and cozy up to Peeta.  Don't make the parachutes beep!  Hello!  People are getting hunted, don't give away their location.  Duh?  Also, Peeta was dying of an infection, and some salve that will close the wound is not going to change that.  How long would it have taken her to inject him like she did in the book?  Katniss' dress at the first interview was not red with fire at the bottom, it was covered in jewels.  Also, the mockingjays.  They should have sounded just like Rue, not like a bird song.  That's their purpose.  These small things are really nice ways to reference the book without even having to say anything.  I appreciate those things.  I didn't like all the bits with President Snow and the creepy Gamemaker guy.  Maybe they're setting something up for the second movie?  (I haven't read the second book -- so don't enlighten me.)    Where are the Avoxes?  I thought they would come up later because Katniss says at the very beginning that they could have their tongues cut out when Gale suggests they run away.  And overall, it just felt really rushed--but that's the way movie adaptations go I suppose.

Aside from all the small bits they didn't bother doing right, there were two major things that really ticked me off.
  1. Rue's character was not developed at all in the movie.  When I sat down at the beginning of the movie, I thought to myself, "I'm going to cry like a baby when Rue dies."  (I'm a crier!)  However, when the time came I just found myself mostly upset that they had spent so little time on her character.  Of course I was sad, too, but seriously, the attention to Rue was pathetic.  On a small side-note: Katniss was very aware of her face/actions/emotions throughout the book since she knew she was on camera and needed to be a tough broad to keep sponsors.  She was sort of a blubbering idiot for a lot of the movie (especially after Rue's death).  Yes, if there is a strong female lead, let's just make sure we make her a hot mess on film.  I'll bet no one's ever done that before!
  2. Thing I hated the most: District 11 rioting.  What the hell?  If this was the 74th Hunger Games and they hadn't rioted over anyone else, why would they risk their whole district over Rue?  Oh yes, and since we've re-written District 11 as violent, let's make them mostly black too!  Just brilliant, I bet no one has ever thought of that before, either.  Aren't we on a creative roll?  Blubbering female lead, check, violent black people, check.  I was pleased that not every frickin person in the movie was white, but let District 11 do the classy thing and send Katniss the bread as a thank you.  That was one of the most moving parts of the book for me and was a much cleverer form of rebellion.
  3. Okay, I can't quite stop at just two.  I'll make it three.  The ending.  I had imagined that the end of the book might not make a big enough hook for movie-goers who don't care to read the books.  So I kind of get the whole President Snow being pissed and the Gamemaker being forced to commit suicide via nightlock (second book or made up? - again, don't enlighten me.)  But they totally dropped the ball on explaining the state of Peeta and Katniss' relationship.  He loves her, she is a very confused 16-year old (romantically speaking).  His feelings are all crushed.  How sad!  That was barely hinted at in the movie.  Come on people!  "Are they or aren't they" was fundamental to the book.  Also, why Peeta even threw Katniss the bread back in the day was really poorly explained.  If I hadn't read the book I'd have been like, "What is she doing under that tree in the rain?"  I mean, she hunts, so she couldn't be that hungry, right?  It didn't explain that she didn't start hunting till later at all in the movie.  So she's pouting under a tree in Peeta's yard, and he throws her bread?  Weird.
There was one thing, however, that I like much better in the movie.  As soon as I finished reading the part of the book where Cato is mauled all.night.long by those hella scary wolf/tributes I was like, "Why didn't Katniss put him out of his misery as soon as he fell off the Cornucopia?"  That part of the book is a little gratuitously long for me.  So I was pleased that it happened just how I said it should in the movie.  As far as the creepy wolf/tribute "muttations" go, I was wondering how on earth they would pull that off in the movie and am frankly okay that they didn't try.  I think it would have been hard to make them look okay and then explain them.  So the scary dogs were fine.  I also thought it was clever how they used the announcers to explain things like tracker jackers and the mines.  (Stephen disagrees with me on this one; he says it was cheesy.)

 Anyway ... I'm off to start reading Catching Fire!


*The only time I have ever thought a movie was better was Forrest Gump.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you on pretty much all of your points. I do think it would have meant more to have established the true source of the mockingjay pin, as coming from someone Katniss thought was not a friend.

    Having read all 3 books, I will tell you that some of your quandaries will be explained. I don't like that they snuck some stuff from Catching Fire into the movie. Namely the entrance/chariot costumes, but there are others, I won't spoil the book for you, but you'll know em when you get to em. What do they plan to do for the second movie with those things gone?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your Hunger Games post last night after I wrote mine. On purpose, I hadn't read it yet because I wanted my reaction to be authentically me, but I really appreciated yours as well! (Much more positive! And I agree, the basic message of hope remained ... I can be a "tad" nit-picky. ;))

      I admit that during the chariot entrances I was trying not to look too close at what anyone was wearing because I assumed it would come up later in the books. Good to know that some of these questions will be answered! :)

      Delete