Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Couch to 5k Self-Inflicted Torture

So yesterday I started the "couch to 5k" deal I've heard so much about.  Mostly, it was horrible.  I do not understand why people run for fun.  It does not feel good, and any sense of accomplishment I may have felt was trumped by my little heart trying to flee my body and a stitch in my side that made it impossible to suck in as much air as I really would have benefited from.

How much work did I actually do, you ask?  Five minute walk, 2 minute run, and another 5 minute walk.

Why yes, I am that out of shape, thank you for asking.  Now wipe that smug look off your face!  I will have you know that I am a marathon pleasure-reader!  And no, that does not mean romance novels.  At the moment it means cozy mysteries.

Anyway, I have a tendency to quit things pretty quickly.  (For example, I am not signing up for the Dollar Shave Club -- I'm a little too hippie to need that many razors a month, even if they are cheap.)  But I'm going to try really hard to stick to this, so feel free to taunt me and hold me accountable if I appear to be slacking.  Stephen is crazy supportive, as always!  Love that guy.

In case you are interested, here's the plan I found:


(chart from: http://runtobefit.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/couch-to-5k-training-plan.png)

p.s.  I don't actually plan on running a race.  All by myself is just fine, provided I make it that far.

1 comment:

  1. Running sucks. You should bike instead! Let's go on a bike ride together sometime. It can be a nice long one if cardiovascular health is your goal. =)

    ReplyDelete