Friday, June 29, 2012

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes!

I'll start with the most positive:  I've finally found a mode of being active that I think I will totally enjoy!  I've got the bike fixed up that my friend Charlesephine helped me find.  Turns out it isn't the Best Bike In The World, but I just need a Bike I Can Ride On The Trail.  And that is what I have, so I'm happy as a little piggy in mud.  Simple is good.  If I stick with it, I may eventually get a Fancy Bike. But for now, this is just right!  Got the front brakes fixed up and I've hit the trail twice so far.  The first time I was so nervous I was gripping the handles so hard I thought my hands would cramp up, but I think the point is that I did it anyway.  Turns out that riding a bike is actually "like riding a bike."  I remembered how! I'm still not super confident, but I didn't fall over at all!  The second time my hands didn't get all sore, but my legs did because I realized that I like pedaling and I don't like coasting, so I upped the little speed doohickey to "3" instead of "1."  I got a bit winded and then Stephen had to push my bike ... and his bike ... all the way up the hill (which is actually crazy steep ... I'd say 40 degrees at it's steepest) while I paused to sit so I wouldn't barf.  I'll take it a little easier next time.  Stephen was good company each time, as always :)

Next the positive-in-a-certain-light slash I'm-freaking-out-about-it-a-tad change:  My current position at my work is being eliminated and replaced with a full-time job.  I'm taking the full-time position, but it's really going to throw a wrench in my school plans.  I'll still go to school, but dang it's going to be harder with a whole day slashed out of my Free Time schedule.  Change is inevitable, right?  I'm doing a lot of deep breathing and saying stuff I don't believe like, "Everything will be okay," because that is what my mindfulness-based therapist says I should do.  I'm hoping belief will follow practice. It will be okay.  I just do so love routine.  And change, even good change (like biking or getting a job that actually provided benefits), is quite the shake-up to peaceful routines.


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new/old job. Yes, school and work tend to butt heads, but you're clever, you'll make it work. Just be sure to keep time for riding your bike to allow you to destress!

    ReplyDelete